Welcome to the Department of Civil Engineering, Kwara State University, Malete. The Department was established in 2011 along with other departments in the College of Engineering and Technology,
Welcome to the Department of Civil Engineering, Kwara State University, Malete. The Department was established in 2011 along with other departments in the College of Engineering and Technology, The first set of its undergraduate students for the Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) programme were drawn from College of Pure and Applied Sciences in 2011. The first set of twenty four (24) students was graduated in June 2016. Since then the Department has progressed tremendously and a lot has been achieved so far, For example, the department got the full accreditation status for both COREN and NUC in 2016.Also, the number of full academic staff of the department as well as number of students has increased considerably. Despite these achievements, we will strive for more in future, for the benefit of the country and society.
I invite you to look at what we have in the Department as we are preparing our graduates to become world-class leaders and problem solvers, capable of addressing society’s ongoing needs for infrastructure, both public and private, in an African context.In our department, we seek to attract students who demonstrate creative analytical thinking, persistence and discipline, self-motivation, and intelligence. As the engineering field is extremely demanding, future engineering students must be able to adapt to a new dynamic environment and react positively to new challenges and opportunities. Our Students are taught to be independent thinkers, create independent types of work, write technical reports, perform research on different areas of civil engineering and present their work before classmates and faculty members. In the Department of Civil Engineering, we are committed to excellence in teaching and research in order to safeguard high quality standards among our graduates and promote evolution and technological advancement.
Civil Engineering is the heart of development. The curriculum is based on competence rather than content. Content or courses may then be overlaid into this framework. Instructors are then free to design their courses to meet the required competency levels. Metrics may be developed to assess student satisfaction and competency goals. The areas of competence are: water resource engineering, structural engineering; geotechnical engineering; traffic safety, highway, transportation and urban planning; design and project management and integrated infrastructural design and management. Furthermore, we plan to focus our research on community development for the benefit of humankind through the following missions:
• Continuously conduct basic and applied researches relating to our areas of competence in Nigeria and the regional countries as listed above.
• Transform the problems into research questions and develop the research outcomes into policies, programs and countermeasures.
• Disseminate and share the research outcomes with the community around the world.
We also welcome contribution in ideas or other forms that may help us to provide better service to our stakeholders as we prepare to collaborate with other researchers in the University from various disciplines such as materials, mechanical engineering, social science, epidemiology, medical, economics, statistics computer and communication.
With best wishes,
The departmental mission is to develop into national resources that will continue to support the development of Nigeria, its economic diversification to make it responsive to the needs of government, industry and society. Thus, the department will provide:
• State-of-technological and engineering training that prepares the graduates for responsibilities of the workplace.
• To produce qualified and competent Civil Engineers in such areas of specialization as – Structural Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Highways and Transportation Engineering, Foundation/ Geotechnical Engineering Construction Management, etc.
• Engage in appropriate research activities, and, hence, produce the most sought-after engineers by all employers of labour, post graduate schools and research institution.
• Establish industry-institution linkages for mutually beneficial relationships. Strive to become a Centre of Excellence in Engineering and Technology in the West African sub-region where expertise and facilities to accelerate the pace of industrial development can be provided.
- The vision of the department is to become one of the best Civil and Environmental Engineering Departments in any Nigerian Universities with national and international acclaim. A department where the advancement of engineering and technology is continuously dynamic. Its graduate will become very capable and environmental – friendly engineers who would be relevant in the public and private sectors of the economy and rapid industrialization and development of Nigeria.