Philosophy of the Department
The philosophy underlying the programmes in the Department of Agricultural Economics and Extension is to produce graduates that will be equipped to carry out the mission of Kwara State University
– “to be the fulcrum of a knowledge-driven society, building human competences and fostering determination and competition among people through the instrumentality of modern technology”. This philosophy will produce highly skilled and competent manpower for expansion of the frontiers of knowledge to address the challenges posed in Agricultural Economics and Extension. The programmes will serve as interventions for ameliorating both theoretical and practical problems in Agriculture.
In accordance with the National Universities Commission Benchmark Minimum Academic Standards (BMAS) for degree programmes, the Department of Agricultural Economics and Extension Services has the manpower and basic facilities for advanced courses and research leading to the award of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees of Bachelor of Agriculture (B. Agric.), Master of Science (M.Sc.) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in the following areas :
- Agricultural Extension and Rural Development
- Agricultural Economics and Farm Management
Objectives of the Department’s Postgraduate Programme
The aims of establishing the degree programmes in Agricultural Economics and Farm Management; and Agricultural Extension and Rural Development are to meet the human resource needs of the Ministry of Agriculture and related public establishments, the private sectors, agro-allied industries and related NGOs in Nigeria. The specific objectives are to:
- Equip the graduates with higher knowledge and skills in Agricultural Economics and Farm Management; and Agricultural Extension and Rural Development
- Prepare graduates to play leadership roles in agricultural programme, planning implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Prepare graduates to provide in-service training at the various agricultural training centres
- Equip graduates with knowledge required in the process of Agricultural technology generation and transfer.
- Prepare graduates as private service providers in Agriculture.