Applications are invited from qualified men and women for admission into the doctoral program at the Institute
of Advanced Military Studies (IAMS) of Kwara State University in the Harmattan Semester of 2018.
The PhD programme at IAMS is to groom students through immersion in the advanced history and multi-disciplinary theories of the military and war as a fundamental human challenge with immense transformational consequences for society and state and indeed with global systemic implications. The three year program is thus theory inclined and cutting edge research oriented with emphasis placed on critical thinking. The research outcomes are expected to generate outputs with significant import for public policy and professional practice.
The goal is the development of experts who will provide leadership, directed by informed and critical analysis, in resolving complex challenges of peace, conflict and war as well as national development in the 21st century and especially at the cusp of the fourth industrial revolution. With especial focus on post colonial environment, this program will contribute to ensuring the vision of Nigeria as a leader in critical idea modulations for a transformatory twenty-first century for Africa.
Requirements of CandidatesThe following will be eligible for admission:
- Possession of a strong Master's degree (or equivalent) in any discipline from a recognized university.
- Applications must be accompanied by a 1000 word essay on any subject of interest. These include the Manhattan project, Technological advances, Politics, Military, War, and World History, Asymmetric War, Peace building and peace keeping, Patterns and politics of International mediation, Ethics and morality in relation to war, the Fourth industrial revolution (the Digital Age), post/neo Coloniality, Racialism and World History...
In addition, all candidates for admission must pass a written and oral examination.The programme is designed to meet the needs of a small but diverse and qualified student body that will comprise the following:
- Senior officers serving in the Nigerian military or any African National Armed Forces, their equivalents in Para-military organizations, such as the Police Force, including officers deployed to United Nations and African Union (AU) missions and operations.
- Candidates must not be below the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel.
- Civilians engaged at a high policy making level, not below the rank of Deputy Director or equivalent in government and/or inter-governemntal and non governmental organisations, UN, AU, ECOWAS, MRU, UNICEF, UNESCO, Humanitarian Dialogue, International Crisis Group, etc in various capacities .
- Men and women interested in academic careers in related discipline.
DURATION OF STUDYStudents in the IAMS program have a minimum of three years to complete their doctoral degree requirements. It is a full-time residency course spread across six semesters. The first three semesters are for academic coursework and self-study. Core courses are required to be successfully completed with a minimum of a "B" grade. Students would be encouraged to take more elective courses in areas of their research interest or beyond in their years two and or three, but are not required to do so. The last three semesters are for thesis writing and defense. The course work will terminate with candidacy examination (written and/or oral). It is mandatory for a student to pass the candidacy examination in order to proceed to doctoral candidacy.
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTSThe program is rigorous consistent with KWASU Postgraduate School standards. KWASU seriously protects the integrity of all intellectual pursuits under its ambit.
PROCEDURE FOR PAYMENT
GUIDELINES FOR APPLICATION
- All completed application forms are to be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org not later that 5th May, 2018.
- Application form fee is N40,000:00 for Nigerian and U$150:00 for Non-Nigerians. Please note that all foreign candidates should pay into this account:
- Account Name: KWARA STATE UNIVERSITY, MALETE (Conference Account)
- Account No: 1639369077
- Account Type: FCMB Foreign Currency Dom
- All candidates must apply for their official Master's degree academic transcript to be sent to the Director, Institute of Advanced Military Studies, Kwara State University, Malete, not later than the stated deadline.
Secretary, School of Postgraduate StudieS
How to Applyclick here for online application form
Electronic applications with detailed CV and full profiles of applicants with documentary support, including essay written by respective candidates addressed to the Institute of Advanced Military Studies (IAMS) should be received on or before 5 May, 2018.
IAMS-Email : email@example.com