Some of the highlights of Kwara State University, 2018
Post on 24 September 2018
- KWASU has maintained the most stable, consistent academic calendar in Nigeria, and especially of any Nigerian public University and it has never lost an academic week or semester, since its inception in 2009!
- KWASU has NEVER lost accreditation, with all programs it presented accredited by NUC and professional bodies such as COREN.
- Kwara State University was the first public University in Nigeria, since 2009/2010 academic year, to incorporate entrepreneurship traininginto allundergraduateacademic disciplines, with rigorous course work in entrepreneurship studies from 200 Level to 400 Level, and to establish the Centre for Entrepreneurship. KWASU students have created and registered more than two thousand business-companies and incorporated them with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC)
- KWASU creates Centre for Undergraduate Research (CUR) and gives competitive research grants to undergraduate students to work under faculty supervisionand mentors on approved research proposals. The University’s Undergraduate Research Day (URD) every semester offers opportunity for undergraduate students to showcase ongoing research and present their new research products.
- KWASU is the only University in Nigeria offering a BSc. Degree program in Entrepreneurship Education – with the goal of training competent and professional teachers of entrepreneurship studies to serve as teachers in secondary schools.
- KWASU’s award winning Centre for Community Development (CCD) partners with students and staff, national and international agencies, NGOs and individuals to execute community development programs in the larger Nigerian society targeting the UN’s sustainable development goals. The Centre also inculcates in students the spirit of Voluntarism as they enlist and take the Senate mandated Certificate in Community Development for all KWASU undergraduate students.
- KWASU is the first and only University in Nigeria with an undergraduate degree program in Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, graduating its first set in 2016/2017 academic year
- KWASU has built a first of its kind 21st Century Library with World Class facilities for undergraduate and advanced research and learning, with smarter infrastructuresthan any University library in Nigeria!
- KWASU’s School of Tourism, Hospitality and Events Management is the first and only such school of any University in North Central Nigeria
- KWASU currently holds the UNESCO Chair in Alternative Energy and has continued vigorous research in many areas of alternative energy
- KWASU has developed a 350KW Solar Farm on campus (first phase), supplying several buildings and laboratories with electricity such as the Main Library, Students Hostels, Radio and Television Services unit, and more.
- Other KWASU’s cutting edge academic degree programs such as Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, Business Administration, Mass Communication, Environmental Science, Computer Science (undergraduate), and Advanced Military Studies, Public Policy, Environmental Health Science, and Computer Science (Postgraduate) have continued to draw students and faculty to KWASU from around the world.
- KWASU currently offers about 40 undergraduate degree programs, 15 Master’s degree programs and 10 doctoral programs, and growing!
KWASU provided technical support for the development of 5-year Kwara State Agricultural Master plan towards food security in Kwara State and the nation at large.