I welcome you to the website of Zoology Unit of the Biosciences and Biotechnology Department under the College of Pure and Applied Sciences, Kwara State University, Malete. Here, you can peruse a Unit/Programme undergoing undergraduate academic metamorphosis with all modifications approved by the University Senate adequately captured. This reflects the lively nature of a Programme that shows the way to impinging on transforming its environment. As the incoming Head, it is an exciting time to build on the past and deliver the future.
The Unit serviced the Zoological aspects of other Biological Science Programmes from 2009 until 2013 when it became a full Programme. Zoology programme now has seven Academic Staff members including three seasoned Professors (1 full and 2 adjuncts) and two other Ph.D. holders servicing the newly established M.Sc. Zoology programmes in Entomology and Parasitology. The programme also has four other associate Academic staff members (Ph.D. holders from College of Agriculture and Public Health Departments) assisting in the service of both undergraduate and post-graduate students.
To be foremost in expanding the frontier of biological knowledge and be most innovative in disseminating Zoological knowledge towards advancing the course of humanity.
To develop in the students broad based knowledge and skills on which further studies in specialized areas of biological Sciences can be built and produce graduates with the zeal and ability to respond to emerging challenges in the immediate community, the state and the world.
1. Zoology Programme got full accreditation after the visit of representatives of the NUC in 2017.
2. Zoology degree Programme established and currently runs the Centre for Beekeeping Training and Research as a training and research resource for students.
3. Two of our students won the University Undergraduate Research grant awards under the mentorship of academic staff of the Unit.
4. Zoology programme introduced for the first time and has been successfully running two courses on beekeeping (ZLY 105: introductory beekeeping, ZLY 208: Practical beekeeping) since inception in 2013.
5. Establishment of a Sericulture unit as a training resource for students is underway. The unit is expected to commence full operation in the 2018/2019 session.