About the University
The Bill of the Kwara State University was signed into law on 24th December, 2008. It was registered by the National Universities Commission (NUC) on 9th February, 2009, and recognised by the commission as the 34th state university and the 95th university in Nigeria.
The foundation stone was laid on 19th May, 2009 at Malete by the then Kwara State Governor, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, while the official commissioning ceremony of the university was carried out on 19th May, 2011 by His Excellency, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, GCFR, President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Professor AbdulRasheed Na’Allah is the pioneer vice-chancellor. Other pioneer officers included Alhaji Abiodun Olayiwola, Acting Registrar, Mallam Mohammed Ndache, Bursar, Mallam Isiaka Atunde Alao, University Librarian,.
KWASU commenced academic activities in the 2009 – 2010 sessions with the first class held by the Vice-Chancellor, Professor AbdulRasheed Na’Allah on Thursday 17th December, 2009.
The Kwara State University; “The University for Community Development” operates a Collegiate system with multi-campus arrangement in each of the senatorial district that makes up Kwara State. The main campus is located at Malete, Moro Local Government Area of Kwara State and it is 35 kilometres from Ilorin, the Kwara State capital. Other campuses are to be located at Osi in Ekiti Local Government Area, and Ilesha Baruba in Baruten Local Government Area.
The university is made up of six Colleges, viz: College of Agriculture; College of Education; College of Engineering and Technology; College of Humanities, Management and Social Sciences; College of Information and Communication Technology; College of Pure and Applied Sciences. There are twenty eight Academic Departments, with four Schools.
- Our vision is to be the foremost in expanding the frontiers of knowledge, and be most innovative in disseminating knowledge, towards advancing the cause of humanity.
- Our mission is to be the fulcrum of knowledge driven society, building human competences and fostering determination among people through the instrumentality of modern technology.
- Our philosophy is promoting self-actualization, selfless service and personal integrity.
- Our Motto – “Skills and Integrity”
- Our Colours – Gold, green and white depicting technology, agriculture, peace and harmony.