The Department of Crop Production was established in 2009 to pursue and actualize the academic excellence and vision of the Kwara State University to “Innovatively Empowers through Agriculture” and produce skilled manpower of global standard.
In accordance with the National Universities Commission Benchmark Minimum Academic Standards (BMAS), the Department of Crop Production has the manpower and basic facilities for advanced courses and research leading to the award of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees of Bachelor of Agriculture (B. Agric.), Master of Science (M.Sc.), and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in the areas of:
- Plant Breeding and Biotechnology
- Agronomy (with options in Crop Physiology, Horticulture, Cropping Systems, Seed Production, Pasture and Range Management, Organic and Sustainable Crop Management)
- Soil Science (with options in Soil Physics, Soil Chemistry/Fertility, Pedology, Soil Microbiology)
- Crop and Environmental Protection, with options in the following field:
(v) Weed Science.
The philosophy underlying programmes in the Department of Crop Production is to prepare graduates that will be equipped to carry out the mission of Kwara State University – “to be the fulcrum of a knowledge driven society, building human competences and fostering determination and competition among people through the instrumentality of modern technology”. The philosophy of degree programmes in the Department is to produce highly skilled and competent manpower and scholars with deep knowledge in various fields (specialties) in Crop Production discipline and consequently enhance teaching, research and sustainable agricultural production, nationally and internationally.
The objectives of the academic programmes in Crop Production discipline are:
- To train highly competent and skilled specialists in various fields (specialties) for academic careers in teaching, research and technology development.
- To train middle- and top-level personnel to implement agricultural policies of government
- To train and equipped professionals for entrepreneurship and private sector investment in agriculture.
- To serve as Teacher-Student-Platform for a participatory research development mentorship scheme.
- To attract funding for research and technology development.
To continually improving level of intellectualism and generate innovative ideas in the University.